UPDATE JULY 2016 — SAKUMA READY TO NEGOTIATE!
NFWM joins Familias Unidas por la Justicia in being encouraged that Sakuma Bros. has taken the step in saying they are ready to negotiate for a union election on the farms. A great step has been won by FUJ and their supporters, BUT we must continue to put pressure on Sakuma so that during this process the company acts in good faith all along the way. Please visit our Action Alert to continue to support members of Familias Unidas por la Justicia so they get a fair, transparent negotiation process and a clean election that will lead to a union contract.
Honor the Boycott of Sakuma berries, Driscoll’s, & Häagen-Dazs strawberry ice cream until Sakuma Bros. recognizes FUJ and negotiates a fair & legally binding contract
On July 11, 2015, the Board of NFWM passed a resolution endorsing the boycott of Sakuma Bros. berries. NFWM has committed to the farm workers at Sakuma that we will support them until Sakuma Bros. recognizes FUJ as the representatives of the farm workers who work for them and negotiates a fair and binding contract.
On this page you find resources & links to learn more about Familias Unidas & the Boycott of Sakuma berries …and ways to support the farm workers. And keep coming back to this site to get updates and more actions!
- Watch Fruits of Justice. In a true grassroots movement, farm workers in Washington’s Skagit Valley formed their own union, Familias Unidas, to seek living-wages and fair treatment in the fields. When management sought to thwart their efforts, the workers responded with old-school protests and boycotts along with new-millennia social media and enlisted the help of dedicated public interest lawyers to fight for justice. This is their story. Published on Oct 19, 2015
- NFWM Board meeting in Bellingham, WA July 10-11, 2015.
- Overview FUJ & the Boycott of Sakuma Bros. Farm berries: Resource of NFWM
- Familias Unidas por la Justicia website
- facebook: Familias Unidas por la Justicia
- Skagit Valley News July 11, 2015
WHAT YOU CAN DO!
PLEASE NOTE A CHANGE IN THE POSTCARD ACTION. (Feb 2016)
- Honor the Boycott of Sakuma berries, Driscoll’s, & Häagen-Dazs strawberry ice cream until Sakuma Bros. recognizes FUJ and negotiates a fair & legally binding contract.
- Use the Store Manager letter to tell your local grocery store that you support farm workers and will not buy the boycotted products. Ask the store manager to inform their corporate office that a customer wants those products off their shelves.
- Sign & send the attached postcards to Sakuma Bros. and Driscoll’s calling on them to recognize FUJ and negotiate a contract. Also, please send a postcard to FUJ so the farm workers know that they have your support and to NFWM to let us know you have acted (or you can email us at email@example.com.
- Send a letter to Sakuma Bros. from your faith organization in support of FUJ and the boycott. We have a template letter you can download and edit.
- Have your organization endorse the boycott. Here are guidelines to assist you.
- Spread the word of FUJ’s labor dispute with Sakuma Bros. and the boycott! Send NFWM’s Sakuma Boycott Informational one-pager to collegues, friends & family.
- Visit www.boycottsakumaberries.com/ to find more ways to support FUJ.
WHEN YOU HAVE TAKEN ACTION, PLEASE LET US KNOW AT NFWM@NFWM.ORG.